In the Schneider family, our experiences are represented by two separate yet equally important perspectives: The Father, whose views are fun but boarder on ridiculous and the Mother, whose views she believes, incorrectly, to be based on reality. These are their stories. Bum bum.



Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Kitchen is a Gated Community

Submitted by Clayton...


4 or 5 years ago I received in my inbox an e-mail entitled "LET'S JUST SEE HOW OBSERVANT YOU REALLY ARE".

I have been thinking of this e-mail a lot lately because Jenn and I have baby gates up on the main floor of our house.  These gates have been up ever since Zach began his scooting around a few months ago.  Kadence, Jenn and I are all used so used to these obstacles (at what point do they officially get called furniture?) that we have developed new routines to complete our daily tasks.  Kadence has learned to take her dishes to the kitchen in a series of steps that include stashing dishes nearby so she can reach over the gate to retrieve them.  I am healing from an ACL reconstruction, so these gates are a sort of physiotherapy that require contortion of both the body and the face.  Jenn has learned to leap frog the gate as if it was a party game. (It looks odd, but is effective).

The truth about it is, often times in mid climb, I realize Zach has been in bed for six hours.  Why in the world have I been playing doorway twister all that time?  Sometimes the baby gates stay in place for days, even though their containment value only stretches over parts of the day.

I know that Kadence would disagree that this is a hurdle in our home, as she treats it as jungle gym.

KD - "Hey Dad, look at me..."
Me - "SHRIEK"
KD - "Isn't this cool, Dad?"
Me - "Ok, very slowly, take your feet from the door frame and very carefully put them on the top of the gate, where your hands are..."

I think at this point, Jenn would say "What baby gates?"

LET'S JUST SEE HOW OBSERVANT YOU REALLY ARE

1.  On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom?

2.  How many states are there in the USA?

3.  In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch?

4.  Which six colours are on the classic Campbell's soup label?

5.  What two numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them?

6.  When you walk does your left arm swing with your right or left leg?

7.  How many matches are in a standard pack?

8.  On the United States flag is the top stripe red or white?

9.  What is lowest number on the FM dial?

10.  Which way does the water go down the drain, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

11.  Which way does a no-smoking sign's slash run?

12.  How many channels on a VHF TV dial?

13.  On which side of a woman's blouse are the buttons?

14.  Which way do fans rotate?

15.  What is on the back of a Canadian dime?

16.  How many sides does a stop sign have?

17.  Do books have even numbered pages on the right or left side?

18.  How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?

19.  How many sides are there on a standard pencil?

20.  Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc.  Who is missing?

21.  How many hot dog buns are in a standard package?

22.  On which playing card is the card maker's logo?

23.  On which side of a Venetian blind is the cord that adjusts the opening between the slats?

24.  On the back of a Canadian $1 coin, what is in the centre?

25.  There are 12 buttons on a touch phone.  What two symbols bear no digits?

26.  How many curves are there in a standard paper clip?

27.  Does a merry-go-round turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

OK, so having search found and now typed this quiz out, I now realize it is american, it is old and not particularly creative.  There are a few questions that will make you wonder why you don't know the answer, and i guess that just shows us how we see without processing sometimes.  I'll give you a week or so before I post the answers, I hope you enjoy it!

That's it for me today, if on my way to bed I see a hurdle, I'll adjust my gait.

9 comments:

  1. BTW, who did the actual physical putting together of your blog - you know putting the photos up and titles and doing the layout of the page? Yes, this question is about observation ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. acccck ... not number 20 again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, is this a non-leading way to try and identify who made the spelling error in the lead in paragraph?

    We did the layout together. The above error was planned as part of an exercise for a later post called "Search the Blog". Congratulations, you have just located the answer for #15.

    If this is not what you are referring to, forget I said anything and the answer is Jenn created the blog, I've added gadgets and we both chose the design / layout.

    Clayton

    ...and yes, #20 is following us...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to know what everyone scored, and how many of the points you got right were helped by google, doing a movement, or anything other than just recalling the answer.

    Are you brave enough to honestly report to the world? (If you don't comment with your answer and I know you read this blog, I'll assume you scored under 10, deal?)

    Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, but first you have to post the answers - right now I'm sitting at 27, but that could change if your answers don't agree with mine. Right?

    And about the page ... spelling error? Where? #15 - what's that got to do with anything?

    And here's another simple question - which side is the backside of a coin? And is there an official website that explains why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back and re-read the intro - I thought you meant the heading. I see a very wobbly connection now to #15. But that isn't where I was going. I'm wondering who inserted the photo of you guys at the top of the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We took it with our computer and when Jenn was done editing, we put it up together.

    Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the double "yy" on Seedy.

    In the car today Jenn said "If we had spelled Kadence with a C then her shortened name would be CD (read as seedy)"

    I told her she needed a hobby.

    ReplyDelete