In the Schneider family, our experiences are represented by two separate yet equally important perspectives: The Father, whose views are fun but boarder on ridiculous and the Mother, whose views she believes, incorrectly, to be based on reality. These are their stories. Bum bum.



Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Look-at-me Phenomenon

Submitted by Jennifer

So you've probably all been wondering where I've been! The truth is that I have been around, for most of the time anyway, but I've admittedly been in kind of a writing funk lately! I think I have told Clayton that I will post something every day for the past two weeks and he has just reached the point of yeah, yeah...I won't hold my breath!  However, I am back now, and I have lots of fresh ideas, so without further ado....

I am the kind of person who needs to focus on the task at hand without interruption, or else I simply cannot think. I simply cannot read a book and carry on a conversation at the same time, I cannot drive and talk (or who knows where I will end up!), I cannot pay my bills and watch t.v., it just doesn't work for me. Unfortunately, this is not the case for either Clayton or KD.  Because of this, I often find myself being pulled in many different directions at one time.  They really don't understand that I can still love them and yet direct my attention elsewhere for any reason!  The biggest challenge this creates for me is what I like to call the look-at-me phenomenon!  It goes something like this...

I am reading/replying to emails or any other task at hand for that matter,
"Mom! Mom! Look at me!".
I tear my attention away from the task at hand in order to observe whatever feat KD is trying to demonstrate.
She begins.
"Jen! Look! Look what Zach is doing"
I look over at whatever Zach is attempting, usually a fraction of a second too late to actually see anything.
Clayton shoots me a disappointed look for my having missed it while simultaneously KD says,
"Did you see the whole thing mom?"
"uh...no...sorry. Can you show me again?"
KD then shoots me a disgusted look for having not seen the whole thing...
She begins again...
"Jen! Jen! Look!"
Then I pick up the pieces of my exploded brain and we carry on!


I wouldn't have it any other way...

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment