In the Schneider family, our experiences are represented by two separate yet equally important perspectives: The Father, whose views are fun but boarder on ridiculous and the Mother, whose views she believes, incorrectly, to be based on reality. These are their stories. Bum bum.



Monday, February 21, 2011

Music To My Ears

Submitted  by Clayton...

Long before I had kids of my own, my niece M was much younger and in town for a visit.  I did the loving uncle thing and made her her very own CD so that she could rock out as she and my sister flip-flopped the highway dodging the disco lights of smokey and the bear to Regina.  I think my sister was sick of the CD's M played all the way to Winnipeg and she was almost as excited for the gift as M was.

They hit the road, put in the CD, cranked the sound, pressed eject and played CBC all the way home.

Whoops.  The ears that you have as a "sing to the cheap seats, rock n roll loving childless adult" are way different from the ears you have as a parent trying to monitor what your children hear.  I get it now.  Apparently certain cringey words snuck their way past my ears and onto the CD.  As a parent of a child that loves music and now has CD's of her own, I now understand the struggle to find songs that are suitable and I am amazed at how hard this is.  I know a lot of music and I don't listen to a lot of Gangsta Rap or Icelandic Death Metal, but I still find it hard to find 20 songs that I feel comfortable with KD listening to.  I try to make CDs that Jennn and I will like (or at least put up with) and you'd think with my itunes currently holding 11632 songs it shouldn't be to hard.  Well there is no accounting for a 4 year old's taste and unfortunately when KD hears a song like Disco Duck, she won't let me forget to put it on her next CD and I'm left with the weirdest mix of appropriate songs ever.

On a related note, KD used to to be quite adamant on what music Jenn was allowed to play in the car - she is very critical of Jenn's music choices.  On the other hand, when I am driving KD around usually she is good with whatever is on and we belt it out like the Car Stars we are, home made actions and all!  (The truth of the matter is that Jenn and I really listen to much of the same music, but don't tell KD.)

4 comments:

  1. I believe she still has the cover lovingly pinned up in her room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she does. I assume the CD disappeared...lol ( or it is nail gunned to her bedroom wall).

    Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  3. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    P.S.
    this is from 'M' -short for 'MADDY' -short for 'MADELINE' -short for 'MADELINE ALICE OLIVE MCCALL WARD':)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, Jenn KD and I performed a particularly riveting version of "Hit the Road Jack" 30 separate times in the car on the way to the hospital (see today's post for more commentary on this trip.)

    Have you ever had an experience where the people in every car driving by, stared unwaveringly into your car with one eyebrow cocked?

    ReplyDelete