In the Schneider family, our experiences are represented by two separate yet equally important perspectives: The Father, whose views are fun but boarder on ridiculous and the Mother, whose views she believes, incorrectly, to be based on reality. These are their stories. Bum bum.



Friday, February 25, 2011

KD tells me where to go...

Submitted by Jennifer


So far Clayton and I have done a lot of blogging about what our major differences are as a couple.  However, there is one area in which we are exactly the same...and it doesn't serve us well.  Neither one of us has any sense of direction what-so-ever!  In fact, we are both so bad in this department that on our first date at a restaurant downtown we lost Clayton's car.  This was in February...in Winnipeg...Did I mention that it was cold?

As it turns out, the genetic deficits that we both share in the knowing-where-we-are-going-department were  simply being put aside for our future offspring.  No thanks to us, our daughter has the most uncanny sense of direction that I think I have ever seen.

We started to notice this ability when she was not quite three.  It was on our way downtown to her dancing lessons, that she piped up in the backseat and began to explain, in rather elaborate detail, the route that we were going to take to reach our destination...
"First we take this road to the street with all the coloured signs, then we turn that way (indicating right) and we drive and we drive and we drive all the way to the end, then we turn the other way and then we're there!"

Clayton and I exchanged puzzled glances, the street with all the coloured signs?  Sure enough people, West Broadway, every intersecting side street has a different coloured street sign.  She had nailed it.  Not only that, but she had noted a detail about the street that neither of us had ever noticed!  Might of helped us out on our first date if we had...now that I think about it!

So from there it just became a matter of KD pointing out landmarks all over the place, "Hey that's where we go for Sushi." or "That's where I go for swimming lessons." or even, "Hey, we went there for Disney on Ice last year."  Uh, huh.  Show off...

So after quite a while of this kind of stuff, I started to experiment with letting KD direct me home while I'm driving just to see where we would end up....we ended up at home...every time.  From Safeway, from her Grandparents, from Tim Hortons, you name it, the kid could find her way home.

Now just  this week, we have reached a whole new level with this ability.  We were driving in the car on our way somewhere I can't remember now and I missed a turn...a little voice piped up from the back seat,
"Mom, you're going the wrong way"...


...not so cool anymore...


Jen

2 comments:

  1. Jenn,
    you can always pretend that KD is like your own GPS unit, and do what so many others do, ignore the voice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then she would never remember that she left her at Old Navy again!


    (The preceding comment was for humours sake. I am not implying that Jenn ever left KD at Old Navy)

    For real though, I really hope that she doesn't read your advice as you are a pastor and some people take you seriously and didn't know you when you a college age ginch fighter. I say this only because Jenn smashed her GPS out of frustration, so I prefer that she treat KD more like...(please see below)



    (Before you read any further, I want to again stress that the last comment was for humour sake, except the very true Pastor Dave reference. I do not want to imply that Jenn either smashed her GPS or was frustrated with it.)


    Maybe its time I ended this comment.

    See you in the next post!

    ReplyDelete