In the Schneider family, our experiences are represented by two separate yet equally important perspectives: The Father, whose views are fun but boarder on ridiculous and the Mother, whose views she believes, incorrectly, to be based on reality. These are their stories. Bum bum.



Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Jen/Jenn thing

Submitted by Jennifer

Ok, so I feel like I need to weigh in on this whole "spelling of my name" thing because for one thing, Clayton is full of bologna and for another if I don't get a word in edgewise here, this will rapidly become Clayton's blog.
I am actually surprised to be having this debate at all! When Clayton and I first got together, he informed me that he had this whole weird thing about shortening people's names...as in, he doesn't like to do it. Also as in, "don't call me Clay". To my knowledge there are only two people in the world who get away with "Clay", his Aunty Pat, because she's known him since before he was born...and his longest standing BFF, Mike...I am not sure why...and possibly Mike's wife, Lindsay, by default.
There was even a time when we were first together that I thought maybe I would be the one person who would be allowed to call him Clay, and it would be our special little thing...yeah, that didn't fly. So it was very early on in our relationship that Clayton informed me that he would be referring to me as Jennifer. Not Jen, not Jenn, not Jenny...Jennifer. Of course this didn't exactly stick either, because it is not as familiar as Jen in casual conversation. However his claims that he added the extra 'n' as a term of endearment to specifically refer to me are just laughable...not only can I produce several documents to prove that he has repeatedly written me notes and cards addressed to 'Jen', (love notes even!), but he almost always refers to me as 'Honey'...so much so that when KD was about two-years-old, she said "Thank you, Honey", when I handed her breakfast!
So in response to the question, which is it? I can only say that I do,(always), spell my name Jen. Clayton, on the other hand, has always fumbled along, spelling it however he sees fit that particular day, Jen, Jenn, Jennifer, or Honey. Personally, if anything, I think that Jen with one 'n' might just be one 'n' short of his comfort zone with regard to name-shortening. But if you want to get under his skin...and I know many of you do...call him Clay...I dare ya!
Yours,
Jen with one 'n'.

8 comments:

  1. I just pulled this iPad out of Jennnnnn's hands because I thought she might break it, being that she is really really drunk. I just saw that she was on the blog and although I have yet to read it, I'm sure that it is full of chalk full of impaired arguments, I'll have to check on that later, after I tuck Jenn into bed.

    Imagine, all this at 3:30 in the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team trouble is officially IN trouble...
    I am certain that I do not need to clarify for you all that I am not drunk....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Clayton again...

    I didn't think I needed to clarify, but just to be sure...you all knew I was talking about drunk with power right?

    I thought it kind of went without saying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jen, for setting the record straight. (I think I recall hearing him call you Jenny, too, for the record...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot, I'm totally busted for spelling your name wrong all the time! Sorry about that; I'll do better, I promise!

    I love your blog, guys! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karrri,

    Thank you for your continued support in this matter. Stay strong!

    Claytonn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Call me old, but I still recall the days of "Clay" and I have almost always spelled it Jenn. In fact I am fairly sure that it wasn't until Jenn came along that I stopped calling him Clay and started calling him Clayton.
    I mean no disrespect to Jenn and her single "N" preferences. I don't really know why, it just seems to fit that way. Besides with the second "N" it really puts an "N" to it. So, as much as I tend to side with Jenn more often then with Clay"Ton", on this one, I am with team JENN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If we all went by the names we recall from the past, I would have to remind you of the day you introduced yourself to me! WOOF WOOF AROOOOOOO.

    In college I was called Clayton and sometimes Montague, but never Clay that I recall. Well except by Phil AKA Philious Fogg AKA Philbert AKA Philistene AKA...

    ReplyDelete